Sunday, December 6, 2009

My Dreidel is Different than Yours






Shalom Yeladim:

What’s the difference between an Israeli dreidel and an American dreidel?
I’m going to count to five. If you don’t know by the time I reach the number five…I guess I’ll have to tell you.
1…
2…
3…
4…I’m waiting…
5…I couldn’t hear anything over here in Israel. Did anybody give the right answer? You want me to tell you?????
All right, all right.
You see the first row of dreidel letters? Those are the ones you know: the letters Nune, Gimmel, Hey, Shin. They stand for “Nes Gadol Hayah Sham”. That means a big miracle happened there. You say “there” because the miracle of the little oil found in a teeny jug occurred in Israel, which for you is far away. But we live here, in Israel, where the miracle actually happened. So our dreidel doesn’t have the letter Shin. It has the letter Peh – like the one in the next picture. It stands for the word “Poh” – which means “here” in Hebrew. We say “Nes Gadol Hayah Poh” – a big miracle happened here. And it did! The story of the Hanukkah miracle began in the city of Modi’in, birthplace of Judah Macabee – and I’m in a rush to get there. I want to take part in the annual Hanukkah torch relay race that starts in Modi’in and ends at the Western Wall…and I’m going to win. There isn’t a runner in this country who can move as fast as I can.
Wait a minute…what about you? What do you think about holding your own Hanukkah relay race in your gym? Let me know if you do and make sure the winners each get a sufganiyah. That’s Hebrew for jelly doughnut, which is the favorite Hanukkah food in Israel. Doesn’t the picture above make your mouth water? Umm…I can smell the aroma of freshly baked sufganiyot…I land on one and lick the jelly. Mm..Mm..is it good…and…OH MY! I’ve got to fly. I want to be the first one at the race.
See you.
Chag Hanukkah Sameach…Zvuvi

No comments:

Post a Comment