Monday, September 13, 2010

We’ve Moved Our Clock Back One Hour. Why?




Shalom Yeladim, Morim & Morot:
I bet you didn’t know that we’ve already changed our clock. What??? you ask. Doesn’t daylight savings time end at the end of October? No way…not if you live in Israel. We have a fast day coming up – in fact you do too – Yom Kippur. The thing is we want to make sure it goes by fast. Like fast as a fly? Well, not quite. But that’s why this past Saturday night we turned our clocks back one hour. That way we start the fast an hour earlier and then the next day it feels like it’s going to end sooner. You could kinda say that it’s psychological! I keep on telling you we’re a fun country. Aren’t you glad you have us? And to make it even more fun, the city of Givatayim, which is right next door to Tel Aviv, decided to have its own time zone. That’s right. Some Givatayim residents decided not to turn back the clock. What???!!! Does that mean if I buzz on up from Tel Aviv, where it’s 8 a.m. it’s going to be 9 in the morning in Givatayim, which is literally a hop, skip and a fly from Tel Aviv??? And then, when I leave Givatayim and make a fly line to B’nei Brak – which is literally on a street next door – it’s going to be 8 a.m. again?? I mean is this fun or what??? You have to fly over here and see what it’s like. But oh, oh – you may not be able to land. The airport workers went on strike yesterday morning and with all these time zones I’m not exactly sure what time that was. Oy! That’s Yiddish for OMG!
BUT...they've ended the strike. Instead they're talking about work sanctions. So now we’ve got a lot to clock: how many hours for each sanction and how long our 25-hour Yom Kippur fast will take.
Are you as confused as I am? I’m certainly not going to tick off the minutes while I’m fasting on Yom Kippur, but I will try to play Beat the Clock.
Have an easy fast…Zvuvi

No comments:

Post a Comment