Saturday, September 4, 2010

It’s Almost Rosh Hashanah and I’m Having a Honey of a Time




Shalom Yeladim:
To bee or not to bee? Isn’t that the perfect question for Rosh Hashanah – especially if you’re an insect? Being Jewish – and Israeli, I’ll answer that question with another question: To fly or not to fly?
Am I confusing you? Selicha – forgive me – which is another important part of Rosh Hashanah. If I’ve done anything to get you upset, I ask forgiveness. But getting back to my question about confusing you, here’s my answer. I’ve decided yes, I’m going to fly – this time to some of Israel’s bee farms. Do you know that Israel has 500 honey farmers? These farmers maintain 90,000 hives, producing 8 million pounds of honey! But here’s the thing. Honey production isn’t new to Israel. After all, our country – yours and mine because it’s the Jewish state – is often called The Land of Milk and Honey. And with good reason. Israeli archaeologists have found the first real evidence of bee hives in the Biblical city of Tel Rehov located in the Jordan Valley, close to the city of Beit Shean.
So let’s get going with my mini-bee hive tour.
Our first stop is Kibbutz Shamir, located in the Upper Galilee. Natural springs and wild flowers surround the kibbutz apiary (that’s a fancy term for bee farm). I just love the clean, clear mountain air.
Next, I’m going to fly to Olam Ha’Devorah – Bee World – a family run farm found in Binyamina, a small town in the center of Israel, close to Zichron Ya’acov. I like going there because I get to make my own honey. It’s kinda sticky and for a fly that could be a fly-by-night affair – which is why I visit during the day. I know, I know. You’ve had enough of my puns, so let’s head over to Lynn Bee Farms in Moshav Kfar Bilu. The reason I go there is because besides the honey, the Moshav also produces natural and organic foods. Mm, mm. It’s also in the direction of my last stop – the Kibbutz Yad Mordechai apiary – one of the oldest apiaries in the modern State of Israel, with 4,000 hives scattered all over Israel.
Am I having a honey of a time or what???
Have a sweet year…Zvuvi

No comments:

Post a Comment