Sunday, November 14, 2010

I’m Going to Take a Spin on Israel’s Largest Dreidel
















Shalom Yeladim:


I’m flying to Caesarea, the ancient Israeli city named for Julius Caesar. It’s one of the coolest cities in Israel. Cool – because it’s a really old port city with a fresh sea breeze, and cool because of all the unbelievable statues, palace ruins, hippodrome and Roman amphitheater that archaeologists have found.

But that’s not why I’m flying there this time. I’m going for another cool reason. I’m going to take a spin on Israel’s largest dreidel. After all, Hanukkah is just 2 ½ weeks away and I have to get in shape for all the dreidel playing. By the way, do you know the difference between your dreidel and ours? Your dreidel has the letters Nune, Gimmel, Hey and Shin for Neis Gadol Hayah Sham, meaning “a big miracle happened there”. Our dreidel doesn’t have a shin. It has a peh. Because you gotta admit that Neis Gadol Hayah Poh – “a big miracle happened here”.

But let’s get back to this huge, gigantic, unbelievably tall dreidel. It’s 18 feet high and it stands – when it’s not spinning – right next to the Caesarea train station. I know, I know, you’re going to ask why I don’t take the train. But I’m a fly. Remember? And flies have to fly. Which is why I can go all the way high on top of the dreidel.

This dreidel was made by a dreidel artist. Yup, his name is Eran Grebler and all he does is make dreidels. Well, almost. He also makes Hannukiot. But Hanukkah is his thing, and his “Dreidel House” is also located in Caeserea. I’m going to make that my second stop. Everything spins there…the potters wheel where the dreidels are formed…the finished dreidels all around, even other Hanukkah spin-off products.

Speaking of spin-off products for Hanukkah gifts – what about me and my book? You gotta admit, I’m so hyper I make your head spin. But hey, I’m the funnest fly around (OK, OK, funniest). You can buy my book at Kar-Ben’s online book store, or at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and Borders. Or you can ask your local Judaica store.
Gotta spin…Zvuvi

No comments:

Post a Comment